Need help with my new scooter

« Older   Newer »

1. András

User deleted

Dear All!

I have just bought a 2005 Honda Forza (NSS250 EX ABS) and want to replace all consumable parts:
    - brake pads
    - brake fluid
    - motor oil
    - oil filter
    - spark plug
    - coolant fluid

The problem is that I can not find concrete data on what to use. I would very much appreciate a list of items recommended for this scooter.

2. andrearm

User deleted

CITAZIONE (András @ 30/4/2013, 11:13) 
    Dear All!

I have just bought a 2005 Honda Forza (NSS250 EX ABS) and want to replace all consumable parts:
    - brake pads
    - brake fluid
    - motor oil
    - oil filter
    - spark plug
    - coolant fluid

The problem is that I can not find concrete data on what to use. I would very much appreciate a list of items recommended for this scooter.

Hi, here's some answer to your questions:

- brake pads: check on Ebay, typing "NSS250 BRAKE PADS" ;) (ABS version has the same of non-ABS)
    - brake fluid: DOT4 type, on every mall
    - motor oil: a 5W-40 or a 10W-40 with "API SG/SH/SL" or more (see label behind the tank)
    - oil filter: there is no oil filter on that engine (mod. 2005->2007)
    - spark plug: NGK DPR7EA-9
    - coolant fluid: a common coolant fluid, on every mall

3. András

User deleted

CITAZIONE (andrearm @ 30/4/2013, 12:18) 
    Hi, here's some answer to your questions:

- brake pads: check on Ebay, typing "NSS250 BRAKE PADS" ;) (ABS version has the same of non-ABS)
    - brake fluid: DOT4 type, on every mall
    - motor oil: a 5W-40 or a 10W-40 with "API SG/SH/SL" or more (see label behind the tank)
    - oil filter: there is no oil filter on that engine (mod. 2005->2007)
    - spark plug: NGK DPR7EA-9
    - coolant fluid: a common coolant fluid, on every mall

Thank you for the fast reply. So it is not a very picky scooter, just about any brand will do for oil and other fluids. Good to know.

If there is no oil filter, how does it work anyway?

4. nexus6

User deleted

hi there, actually an oil filter is obviously existing, it's a screen type (not cartridge), located on the right side of the engine and protected by a 19 mm hex cap; it's enough flushing it with any solvent (also gasoline is ok) and let it dry before assembly

5. András

User deleted

Thank you for the information! I was wondering why there are two sections in the manual on oil, now I know :)

6. andrearm

User deleted

per nexus6: in effetti un filtro a retina c'è, ma nonostante svariate decine di migliaia di km non c'ho mai trovato dentro alcunché, visto che è praticamente un passino per il té piuttosto che un vero filtro. Anche l'S-Wing 150 (motore dell'SH) ha lo stesso filtro ma niente, è sempre perfettamente pulito ad ogni cambio olio, al punto da rendere davvero superflua la pulizia con benzina. Anche l'X9 250 che ho posseduto (motore del Forza 2005) stesso discorso...

7. nexus6

User deleted

ciao andrearm, il filtro a maglia è utilizzato generalmente su motori diciamo di "basso profilo", laddove per questioni di scelte produttive si decide di rinunciare a qualcosa in termini di potere filtrante rispetto alla comune cartuccia pur di avere un costo di produzione inferiore; cio' nonostante -anche se ad un'esame superficiale puo' sembrare sempre pulito- svolge il suo compito abbastanza efficacemente; nella vita media di un motore a combustione l'inevitabile usura degli organi interni libera sempre e comunque delle piccole particelle e sfridi metallici (parliamo di diametri intorno al decimo di mm o meno) che non possono essere lasciati girare liberamente nel motore: oltre ad aumentatre precocemente l'usura dello stesso possono facilmente ingranare tra gli organi in movimento, danneggiare cuscinetti e/o ostruire passaggi dell'olio con tutto cio' che questo comporta. Per tale motivo e'generalmente sempre previsto un sistema filtrante, per quanto "rudimentale" possa essere. In alcune realizzazioni si arriva ad affidare tutto il compito ad un ancor piu' semplice (ed economico) magnete, in modo da poter catturare almeno le particelle piu' grosse (e quindi potenzialmente piu' dannose).

8. andrearm

User deleted

...ma niente niente il difetto del cuscinetto nei motori 250 (2005-2007) è dovuto proprio a questo filtro ridicolo??? no, perché a questo punto il dubbio è legittimo, anche se ovviamente rimarrà senza risposta

9. nexus6

User deleted

direi di no, lì c'era proprio un difetto di progettazione....

10. András

User deleted

Dear Community!

You were were helpful to me before, I hope I can get some more help now.

I have aquired the above mentioned items and am preparing to change break pads and brake fluid. Is there a guide on this forum on how to do this (I can find many guides on the topic, but would prefere one for the Forza)?
    I noticed that there are two release valves on the front caliper, is the upper one for the front brake and lower one for the combined front/rear?

I have one more question:
    On my scooter two of the three screws holding the exhaust in place are missing. Can someone confirm if all three screws are the same size originally?
    Does someone know the ID of the screws?

Thank you in advance!

11. nexus6

User deleted

hi again, to replace the the front pads, just push the caliper pistons all the way in by pushing the caliper body inward to allow installation of new brake pads, than remove the pad pin and brake pads, install new ones and invert the process to reasssembly.
    For rear pads, you have to first remove the muffler then push the caliper piston all the way in as explained before, then remove the rear caliper mounting bolts and rear brake caliper from the swingarm.
    Hold the rear caliper pin, remove the rear caliper bolt and remove the brake pads.
    Clean the inside of the caliper especially around the caliper piston.
    Install new pads so that their ends are set in the pad retainers on the caliper bracket properly.
    Hold the rear caliper pin and install the new rear caliper bolt
    Install the caliper to the swingarm so that the disc is positioned between the pads,
    Install new brake caliper mounting bolts and tighten them.
    Operate the left brake lever to seat the caliper piston against the pads.
    reinstall the muffler
    the lower bleed valve of the fornt caliper is intended for bleeding the air by pulling the rear brake lever, while the upper one by the right lever (front brake), however, if you don't have enough skills I recommend you to have the job done by a skilled person, since air bleeding on ABS version can be a pain in the ass...
    Also, I assume you don't have a torque wrench, therefore I did not indicated the torque value of calipers or muffler bolts. (muffler bolts should be all the same if I remember well, but I can confirm and even telling you the spare part no.)

good luck :)

Edited by nexus6 - 11/5/2013, 22:24

12. András

User deleted

Hello

I went ahead and replaced the brake pads on both front and rear. I removed the front caliper too (in order to clean it).
    As suggested, I did not change brake fluid (because of issues with ABS).

I would like to ask a new questions;
    Which is the preferred front and rear tire to put on the scooter (reminder: 2005 Forza EX ABS)? I was thinking about Metzeller's Feelfree.
    In case of non standard tires like this, is the recommended tyre pressure (in the manual and on the scooter) still valid?

Just to double check, could someone write down the size of front and rear tires for the scooter (not sure if last owner got the right size and the manual I have is just from the internet).

13. andrearm

User deleted

Forza 250 ABS - 2005:

front tyre size: 110/90–13M/C 55P
    rear tyre size: 130/70–12 62P

I've got Metzeler FeelFree Wintec (M+S tyre) on my Majesty 400 ABS and I'm very satisfied! no excessive consumption of the tread, no excessive softness for M+S feature...

These tyres have a superb durability and excellent roadholding, my Wintec have about 20,000 km away and I still have the tread!! also in rear tyre!! I'll change them when I'll come back from summer holidays in Sardinia with the same brand and M+S tyre

you don't have to worry about ABS system, if you want to change brake fluid you can do it!

the important thing is not to leave air bubbles inside the tubes, making an accurate bleed just like you do in normal braking systems...if you are able to do so in normal braking systems, you can do it in the system with ABS

I did bleed the air in my rear brakes with ABS because I did rectify the offices of the caliper bolts back and I was forced to disassemble the caliper

14. András

User deleted

Isn't the Wintec designed for winter riding?

15. andrearm

User deleted

not only winter riding, but also winter riding...

M+S tyre works better than summer version in case of rain or frost, but in case of dry asphalt and higher temperatures do not cause any problems

I walk about 20,000 miles per year with the scooter since 1999 and so I have a lot of experience with both summer tires and winter tires... Metzeler FeelFree Wintec are the best tyres I've ever used

25 replies since 30/4/2013, 10:13   497 views